twice banner

I had a bit of a challenging card-making day yesterday.  I had two custom orders for larger cards (5X6.5″) which are standard when you buy a card in a store but are not so standard for most card-makers. (Who generally make A2 size cards in order to get the most efficient use of a sheet of cardstock)

The cards also had specific themes which is not usually an issue but scaling the cardstock base up is easier than scaling your stamps, patterned paper, embellishments, etc.

For me, the biggest challenge is finding a focal image large enough to fill out the white space on the card.  Even if my cards were “clean and simple” (CAS), my images would be too small to properly design a card.  The second challenge is that most of the patterned paper I have is 6″X6″ which isn’t quite long enough for a 6.5″ tall card. (ruling out most landscape orientations)

Card 1 was to be a giraffe theme.  I have THREE giraffe stamps (plus a stamp that has a giraffe and a few other animals on it – frankly, this is my go-to stamp for a large card but I couldn’t use it this time).  The giraffes are all roughly the same size. Not big enough for a baby card.  That meant I had to create a focal point with layers. (not something I do very often)

Not a huge deal.  I basically made a smaller card front and attached it to a larger card base.  Here’s the end result:

baby giraffe

I used a piece of vellum to soften the grey and blue patterned papers so my poor giraffe wouldn’t get lost on the card.  I love vellum but don’t usually use it because it’s hard to stamp on (IMO – so slippery!) plus I have to use Stazon or heat embossing.

Card number two was a bit more difficult.  It was for twins and had to be an owl them.  I probably have a dozen owl stamps but they’re all pretty small.  Luckily, I have a Silhouette Cameo so it was possible to create a cut file to make some owls of the right size.

In addition to being lucky enough to have the Silhouette, I have a husband that is really good at vector graphics so he graciously volunteered to make me a cut file if I gave him a sketch/image of what I wanted.

The original cut file was two owls on a branch with some cute patterned paper leaves but it required a landscape orientation and I got stalled on the patterned paper background.  I had no suitable 12X12″ paper to use and making a watercolour or distress ink background would have overpowered my little owls so I jettisoned the branch and changed my layout.  I had no suitable sentiment stamp and don’t like using computer-generated sentiments if at all possible so some Kelly Purkey alphabet stickers and a cute Paper Smooches word die saved the day:

twice the love

NOTE: The light tent I got for my birthday is a bit too small for taking card pictures – especially these larger cards – so I’ll be ordering a larger one…unfortunately, I have limited space for it so I can’t get a particularly versatile size but scaling up to the next size should allow me to stand my cards upright and eliminate the visible Velcro tabs/tent seams in my pictures.

I made my own envelopes for each card (but forgot to take pictures).  One used a sheet of patterned paper and one was made from some lighter weight cardstock.  It’s a great way to use up some of your unloved consumables!