That is, the best card *I’ve* ever made.  I think.  So far.

I love it when someone wants me to make a card but they just tell me to do whatever I want.  There are two reasons I love hearing that – 1. The person likes my cards and trusts that they’ll get something nice.  2.  I have no limitations on my creativity and I usually make an over the top card when time allows.

This Valentine for a little girl (it’s only her 2nd Valentine’s Day) is my most over the top card ever.  It’s got metal bling, it’s got shiny bling, it’s got ribbon, it’s a shaker card, it’s a Valentine, it’s a freakin’ work of art!

Without further ado, here is my masterpiece:

Neither expense nor brand name was spared in the creation of this card.  One of a kind (in my personal stash) items were used.  Basic Grey, Prima, Martha Stewart, and Spellbinders were some of the big names invited to this card party.  It took HOURS to make and I think I used just about every type of adhesive I own.  We’re talking pop dots, tape runner, Tombow mono multi, glossy accents, foam tape, glue dots AND scotch tape!

Initially, I wasn’t going to do a shaker card – I was just going to raise the outer border around the heart shape to give the card more dimension but I thought it would be fun to add an acetate cover and pour some beads inside. (thinking the young recipient would like to hear the shaking – but hoping mommy doesn’t hand the card over for her to eat)  While digging out the appropriate tube of beads I remembered some fantastic heart shaped confetti I had in my stash and swapped it for that.  I was going to use foam tape around the inside border of the shaker box but decided to cut some sticky foam with a heart shaped die.  Once I cut it I realized that the edges were a bit too sticky and I was going to abandon my idea but then I thought it would be fun to press some of the confetti around the inside edges and give the frame a little more colour.  Extra confetti was then poured inside the card for the shaker effect.  (in retrospect, I probably could have poured confetti inside the box and shook it to stick to the edges rather than taking the time to press it in by hand)

This was an especially difficult card to photograph because there was a glare on the acetate window.   I took a shot from the opposite angle and you could see the detail a little better but the glare was too much.  I did take a couple of close-up shots to show the flower detail and the bow.

Here’s the bow – I’ve had this “sugar and spice” charm in my stash for about 2 years.  I was going to use it on a baby card but used it here instead of adding a sentiment (which I feel would have detracted from the look of the card):

The charm had some pink enamel around the edges but it had a bit of a yellowish tone so I covered the edges with glossy accents and poured some Martha Stewart Carrara Marble glitter over it.  It turned out well.

And here’s a shot of the Primas – lots of Martha Stewart branch punch accents as well as rhinestones and a brad that I treated with more glossy accents/carrara marble as the shade of pink on the brad was too bright:

In the above shot you can see that I paper-pieced the dress on the image to match the Basic Grey Bittersweet paper used on the card.

If I sewed on cards (which I don’t – but I’d consider it if I could score a Janome Sew Mini) this would be a great card for it.  A line of white (or red!) stitching around the edges would really finish this off.  Maybe next Valentine’s Day.

Supplies used: just read above – way too much to list today!