Today’s card uses Splitcoast Stampers Sketch Challenge 301 and one of the newest Rachelle Anne Miller stamps from PaperWorks Co.  This one is called Angelic Choir and I think it’s my favourite from the release.  I have a few other samples of the new collection to show you in the next couple of days as well as my halloween treat offering this year (I’ve been too busy making them to blog them plus I have so many fun Whipper Snapper stamps to ink up so I’m busier (forgive me!) than a “bayman with two woodstoves”. (that was a little local flavour for you)

I used last year’s Cosmo Cricket Christmas paper line.  I received it in the post a bit too late to do a lot with it (had most of my Christmas cards designed by that point) so I’m happy to have some left over this year.  I’ll be using it up along with last year’s MME line (new to me…I only bought my MME paper this year but that’s okay – you’ll all be wishing you could still buy both papers by the time I’m finished working with them – you might find a couple of sheets from both lines in the clearance section at PWCO – at 40% off too!)

On to the card:

See?  Bet you want some of that Cosmo paper now. 

I was following the sketch, of course, but I flipped it on its side after debating for a few minutes.  That’s today’s tip – when you’re working from a sketch, don’t forget that you can orient it differently to make it work better for you or to simply make your card a little different from all the other cards made with the same sketch.  I always draw the sketch on scrap paper and look at it both landscape and portrait before starting my card.  It’s surprising how that can open up your design options.

Another little tip…the patterned paper I used has built in aging (yellowed edges) so when I cut a piece of paper down in size at least two sides are a bit more white than the others.  I sponge some distress ink on all the edges to even out the tones.  This leads me to another tip…if you are investing in distress ink for this purpose you don’t need to buy every colour under the sun.  I only have two colours – walnut and linen (dark and light)….no red, no green, no blue…sure it would be fun to have all those colours but I don’t NEED them and I’ve always managed just fine with the two I have.

I ran a zigzag stitch around the edges of the card and attached 5 jingle bells to tie in the music theme.  The bells are attached by punching two small holes for each bell and tying them to the card for extra holding power.  The recipient could use this card as a musical instrument if they wanted to.  The bells are not going to fall off like they probably would if you just glued them on.

Off to work on more Halloween goodies…enjoy your weekend (and check back tomorrow!)